Tuesday, June 16, 2009

So, You Wanna Be a Comic Book Artist? by Amara D. Amara


A guest review by Teen Room Staff Brandon!

Like most kids, my choice of career path, (when i was younger), bounced around more than a small child hyped up on Pixy-Stix. At one time or another in my life I wanted to be a firefighter, a policeman, an actor, and of course, a comic book artist. Oftentimes, I’d bike on over to the local library to research my “dream job.” It was at one of these times that I discovered the book; So, You Wanna Be A Comic Book Artist? To an aspiring artist, it became a miniature bible.

So, You Wanna Be A Comic Book Artist? goes through several comprehensive chapters detailing the steps it would take to become a comic book artist. The book starts with the basics, such as creating a studio (or just a space to draw in), or tips for illustrations and character creation, then progresses to more intricate facets of writing and illustrating comic books. The later chapters of the book detail self-production of comics (known as zines), submitting your work to publishers, and information about where the industry of comic book artistry is headed.

Although I no longer aspire to become a comic book artist, I do recommend this book to any aspiring artist. It was easy to read with many inserted articles, such as artist profiles of amateurs as well as professionals, tips from the pros, and general fun facts about comic books and their authors.

--Brandon

No comments:

Post a Comment